This guide provides comprehensive information on the Japan Tourist Visa, including the application process, required documents, and answers to frequently asked questions.
Who Needs a Tourist Visa for Japan?
If you’re visiting Japan for tourism, a visit to family or friends, or other recreational and short-term purposes without engaging in paid activities, you’ll probably need a Japan Tourist Visa. Citizens from a list of countries, including the EU, USA, Australia, and the UK, enjoy visa exemption for stays up to 90 days.
Required Documents for a Japan Tourist Visa Application
You’ll need to provide several supporting documents when you submit a Japanese Tourist Visa application. The requirements include:
- Japan Tourist Visa Application Form
- Valid passport with at least two blank pages
- Passport-size pictures
- Flight Itinerary
- Daily Itinerary in Japan
- If you have a guarantor in Japan: Invitation Letter, Letter of Guarantee, Income Certificate, and Residence Certificate
- If you’re financing your own trip: Bank Statements from the last three months and latest Income Tax Returns
- If you’re visiting someone: proof of relationship
- If you’re employed: No Objection Certificate or a Letter of Employment from your employer
- Civil status documents as required
How to Get a Japan Tourist Visa?
You can apply for a Japan Tourist Visa from a Representative Office of Japan abroad (Embassy or Consulate) or through an accredited travel agency. The process usually involves:
- Contacting the Japanese Embassy/Consulate to make an appointment for the submission of the application
- Gathering the required documents for a Japan visa
- Submitting the documents at the Embassy/Consulate or the travel agency
- Waiting for the visa to be processed, usually taking 5 working days
- Collecting your passport from the Embassy/Consulate/travel agency
Getting the Japan Landing Permit
On arrival in Japan, Immigration officers at the point of entry will review your Japan Tourist Visa and issue a Landing Permit, which legally allows you to enter and stay in Japan for the duration it is issued.
How Long Does it Take to Process a Japanese Tourist Visa?
The processing time for a Japanese Tourist Visa is five working days. This could be extended if further examination is needed or if additional documents are requested.
How Much is the Japan Tourist Visa Fee?
Fees for Japan visas are:
- Single-entry visa: 3,000 Yen
- Double-entry or multiple-entry visa: 6,000 Yen
- Transit visa: 700 Yen
If you apply through an approved travel/visa application agency, they will charge you for a service fee.
What is the Duration of a Japan Tourist Visa?
A Japan Tourist Visa is issued for a maximum duration of 90 days, usually for a single entry.
Can I Extend a Japan Tourist Visa?
In most cases, you cannot. The Immigration Offices in Japan do not normally extend Tourist Visas beyond their validity.
Can I Apply for a Japan Tourist Visa Online?
No, you cannot apply online for any of the Japan visas as of now. The Japanese government planned to launch an online system in April 2020, but due to the coronavirus pandemic, the online system’s launch is still unknown.
Can I Work With a Japan Tourist Visa?
No, you cannot engage in any sort of remunerated activity in Japan while on a Tourist Visa. If you want to work in Japan, you need a Japan Work Visa.